General medicine is the branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and non-surgical treatment of diseases of the internal organs. It focuses on adult care.
Here at Berkshire Independent Hospital we treat a wide range of general medical conditions including: diabetes, liver and pancreatic illnesses, neurology, elderly care, respite and convalescence care, gastroenterology and rheumatology.
We have consultant physicians with broad experience in internal medicine, as well as consultants who provide specialist care for patients. Our general medicine consultants are supported by specialist diagnostic imaging services, a highly skilled nursing team, clinical physiotherapists and, consultant specialists and surgeons as required.
Some common conditions we regularly see, diagnose, manage and treat include:
- elderly care – strokes, Parkinson’s disease, dementia and falls
- recurrent infections, such as colds, sore throats, cystitis, thrush, chest infections and bacterial infections
- chronic headaches - migraine and tension-type headache
- type II diabetes
- asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- digestive disorders - acid reflux, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and inflammatory bowel disease
- arthritis – rheumatoid and osteoarthritis
- endocrine conditions - under-active thyroid
- blood disorders - sickle cell disease
- some heart problems, high blood pressure and palpitations